- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready Time:
- 1 box white cake mix made according to pkg directions
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1/4 cup strong coffee
- 1/2 cup Kahlua divided use
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar divided use
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder or shaved chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 3 (8″) pans. Double layers will work, just adjust time!
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions and add 1 t. instant coffee to the batter.
- Bake layers for 18-22 minutes, check with toothpick inserted in center of cake until it comes out clean.
- Baste layers with 1/4 c. strong coffee and 2 T. Kahlua.
- For filling, combine mascarpone, 1/2 c. confectioners’ sugar and 4 T. Kahlua, beat well, then cover and refrigerate.
- For frosting, beat cream, 1/4 c. confectioners’ and 2 T. Kahlua for 2-3 minutes until stiff. Add 1/2 c. filling to frosting mixture.
- To assemble, place on layer of cake on a serving plate, spread 1/2 of the filling on it, and repeat with second layer. Top with third layer and frost.
- Garnish with cocoa powder or shaved chocolate.