While making and featuring soups, stews and chili this month I have gleaned some “wisdom” about these hardy dishes. Today I would like to share them with you. I have made 23 soups, stews, and chilies in the last three weeks and that has given me some fresh insight about this category of foods.
- Soups, stews, and chili are very easy to make. You can find success with most of these recipes without a lot of cooking skills. It’s really hard to mess up a soup!
- Soups, stews, and chili are very quick to make. Most soups don’t take more than 30 minutes to make. Even the stews don’t take long to prepare – they just require a longer cook time.
- Soups, stews, and chili are usually made with broth. Broth is an essential ingredient in many and a great staple to keep on hand. This includes bouillon granules that can easily be turned into hot broth.
- Soups, stews, and chili are meals in and of themselves. With just a slice of bread or some cheese and crackers – you really don’t need to do a lot of cooking with soups, stews, and chili.
- Soups, stews, and chili are healthy dinner offerings. Using fresh vegetables, grains, legumes, and seasoning you can actually make a hearty meal that’s under 500 calories. That’s a lot less than most meals at most restaurants and a lot less than we normally eat at dinner.
- Soups, stews, and chili are extremely filling and warm you up on a cold winters day. As a matter of fact, I think that January was warmer due to the warm pot of soup on the stove as well as the warm meal it provided.
- Soups, stews, and chili are relatively inexpensive to make. Most of them cost less than $10 per meal (8-12 servings).
- Soups, stews, and chili are wonderful leftovers. Almost every day we had plenty of leftovers and even froze large amounts for another meal.
Now, I would like to tell you that winter is over and we can all move into a spring category of foods but February is coming and will bring more cool temperatures. If you didn’t try some of the featured recipes, there’s still time to go to the Soups, stews, and chili category of recipes at MealEssence.com and try one of our delicous recipes.
Remember, you could save time and money, eat healthier, tastier meals before this season is over!