Greek Spinach and Chicken Pie
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready Time:
1 Hour, 10 Min
- 2 1/2 pounds uncooked ground chicken
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 packages frozen chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 counts eggs
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano
- 16 counts thawed frozen phyllo dough sheets
- Lightly coat a 10×13 rectangular baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. In an extra-large skillet, cook ground chicken and onion in hot butter over medium-high skillet about 8 minutes or until chicken is brown and onion is tender. Drain.
- Stir in spinach, black pepper, salt, nutmeg, and crushed red pepper cook and stir for 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in eggs, cheese, and oregano.
- Unfold filo dough. Place a filo sheet in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Lightly coat filo sheet with cooking spray. Repeat, topping with seven more sheets one at a time and coating each sheet with cooking spray. Spread chicken mixture over filo in dish. Top with the remaining eight filo sheets one at a time, coating each sheet with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until mixture is heated through and top is browned. If necessary tent foil to prevent over browning top.